Why Are Board Member Elections So Important?
The issues facing member organizations are seemingly endless – membership growth, board development, robust leadership, keeping up with technology and so much more. These pressing needs for your member-based organization results in the obvious question: What is the importance of a board member election?
The board member election process covers all the issues your organization faces daily. They allow your organization to better engage members, develop your board and leadership, embrace and utilize technology, and positively represent your organization to the public at large.
How to Elect Board Members
Having your board member election process fully online is not only secure, it’s easy to manage and for your members to cast their votes. With MyDirectVote and DirectVoteLive, You’ll be able to see the votes come in real-time and the results are immediate.
There are also a few different ways to organize your ballots that work well during a board member election. One is to list out all of the candidate profiles on a website or within your voting app. This gives your voters the opportunity to learn about the candidates and make an informed decision on who they vote for.
You could also opt for allowing write-ins or having an “abstain” section on your ballot. Both of these options are good ideas to have if voters have expressed a distaste for the selection of candidates, or want to write in a name that wasn’t originally on the ballot.
The Importance of Board Member Elections
Ultimately, board member elections are most important to organizations when they prove members and employees that they’re a priority and their confidence is held in high regard. When leaders demonstrate openness to change members will be more likely to engage.
The Big Picture
- The bylaws of your member organization layout the formal requirements for elections. In many organizations, board member elections are required on an annual basis.
- In order to amend any organizational bylaws, you may be required to put the changes to a vote.
- Fair and transparent board election processes promote the general welfare of your organization as well as a positive public image to members and non-members alike.
- Elections are an opportunity to engage members of the organization.
- Elections provide your members the chance to connect with the organization’s leadership.
- Leaders, and potential members, of your board use elections to demonstrate their skills and management capabilities.
- Growing the organization socially and economically requires finding good leadership through holding competitive elections.
- Board member elections with high voter turnout prevent a monopoly of authority, while also gaining members trust in the governance of the organization.
- Good governance means leadership being held accountable by voters.
Member organizations should aim for reliable and secure board election processes, while placing a high importance on voter participation. If this seems like a tall order, we can help! Contact us anytime for information on how to elect board members effectively and efficiently, and for solutions that best fit your member organization, while achieving good governance.